If you care enough to look you can easily find out that Ray's the Classics is the 2nd restaurant for the owner, Michael Landrum, who now owns three joints and soon to be four. It's the most upscale of his 3 restaurants and even then it's not a place where jackets are required since soh got in with a t-shirt. But enough blabbering about useless shit.
The Apps
- Slabs of Applewood Smoked Bacon with Sauerkraut: It's bacon, it was fan-fucking-tastic. Do you really need to know more? Yes? Fine. There were four decently thick pieces about an inch wide that were grilled off and served with a decent sauerkraut. It's texture and flavor were unlike any other bacon I'd ever had. It was more sausage like rather than cripsy like a chip or rubbery like a fruit chew. However, the taste was completely bacon with a nice sweetness added by the applewood. Very good.
- Crab Bisque: The app RtC is most known for and for good reason. Thick and creamy, like a bisque should be. Full of crabby flavor with chunks of crab thrown in for good measure. Very Good.
- The Rib-Eye: I have no idea what it's called on the menu but I think it was the only rib-eye on the menu. It was 14oz of rib-eye covered with a spicy rub which added a nice kick to the meaty, flavory goodness. The only problem with this was the inconsistancy of the spice rub which, when thick, overpowered the flavor of the meat. Even with that problem a very good hunk o' meat.
- Mashed Potatoes: They're mashed potatoes, acceptable quality and free!
- Creamed spinach: It's creamed spinach, acceptable quality and free!
- Key Lime Pie: Served with slices of strawberries and whipped cream. Another dish that RtC is known for, also for good reason. Even better than their coconut cake which was very good. I haven't had too many other examples of key lime pie but this was by far the best key lime pie I've ever had.
2 comments:
I'm sure I coulda had a decent steak at a few places in San Antonio but I woulda been charged ridiculous prices, which I really don't mind 'cept for me having to pay for two dinners instead of just me. Yeeeeeeah.
mmmmmm, steak, mmmmmmm, Ray's, mmmmmmm, I have to go to dc again :O~
Oh, and somehow I'll find a way to get Andrew Weissman to DC so he can prepare his key lime pie for you. It's heavenly.
Post a Comment